Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

I Drinks Me Spinach

Little known fact: I love the idea of vegetables, but I don't so much love actual vegetables. (Ok, this is probably a well-known fact.) I don't know how to cook them in a way that makes them palatable and un-boring. So, smoothies are my salvation...from scurvy.

I've been known (by my little sister) to make a pretty mean smoothie, but Kendal made today's.

The ingredients*, in proportions of your liking:

blueberries
mango bits
spinach
full-fat plain yogurt
apple-grape juice
honey

Put everything in the blender and pray that the motor doesn't burn out. (We're going to need a new one soon, I'm afraid, because lately ours sounds like it's moaning when we try to blend stuff.)

_DSC0680

This is supposed to be a "before" picture, but--confession--I didn't really plan this post. I walked by as Kendal started the blender, and I said, "Wait! I want to take a picture!" Hence, the partially-blended blueberries and spinach at the bottom.

_DSC0683

After. Confession--I didn't really drink this smoothie. I ate it with a spoon because it was so thick. But you can certainly make yours thinner and drinkable. And, unless you're overzealous with the green stuff, you can't taste the spinach. (I made one the other day, and I could taste the spinach, but I thought it was delicious anyway.)

Drink up!


*All ingredients were from Trader Joe's. The fruits and vegetables were all frozen, and were not thawed before blending.

2 comments:

  1. I love green smoothies! You can even add kale with very little change in flavor. I like to do bananas, blueberries, spinach, and soy milk or water. So simple and I pretty much never taste the spinach because of the strong flavor from the bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore smoothies with spinach! I'm trying this and Tewauna's asap!

    ReplyDelete