Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

sweet potato oven fries

Sweet potato oven fries.* Kendal sometimes makes these late at night when I'm feeling snackish. They're great with grilled cheese and reruns of How I Met Your Mother.

First, you need some sweet potatoes.

one potato, two potato...
(These are not the same sweet potatoes that you're about to see getting baked. But I couldn't let this perfectly good sweet potato photo go to waste.)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Then, line a baking sheet with some foil. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes, slice them into wedges, and place them on the baking sheet.

_DSC0404

Sprinkle on whatever seasonings you want. Kendal sometimes uses red pepper flakes, but he made this batch mild for Miss M's sake. He used a little kosher salt and our go-to Trader Joe's seasoning.

_DSC0408

Add a little oil--we used canola. Enough to coat the fries, but not so much that they're sitting in a pool of oil.

_DSC0409
(See? Glistening, not drowning.)

Put the tray of fries on the oven center rack, and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Begin catching up on the latest episode of How I Met Your Mother while you wait.

_DSC0410
(Yeah, Miss M is watching it, too. Don't judge.)

When the timer buzzes, flip over the fries.

_DSC0415
(Just flipped.)

Cook them for ten more minutes, or until they're whatever shade of brown that you prefer.

_DSC0423

Dip them in ketchup or barbecue sauce, or mayonnaise (if you're weird). Enjoy with the aforementioned grilled cheese sandwich and hilarious sitcom.

A quick note: Kendal usually peels the sweet potatoes, but this time he left the skin on. The skin was a little thick, so I ended up peeling it off Miss M's and my fries. Easy fix.




*(I struggled with calling them "fries" when they're really baked. But "sweet potato oven bakes" just sounds odd.)

5 comments:

  1. They look good....I will have to try these

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounds tasty except the How I Met Your Mother. I can't seem to get into that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obsessed. I started watching near the end of season 4, so I caught up on the earlier seasons on Netflix.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, these sound so yummy! I definitely have to try the recipe as soon as I get my hand on some sweet potatoes.

    I have to confess, though, that I never watched a single episode of How I Met Your Mother. Maybe I should give that a try, too?

    ReplyDelete